Model management is a
framework for supporting meta-data related applications where models and
mappings are manipulated using operations such as Match, Merge, ApplyFunction,
Model Management Overview
- Many problems encountered when building applications of database systems
involve the manipulation of models. By "model," we mean a complex structure
that represents a design artifact, such as a relational schema,
object-oriented interface, UML model, XML DTD, web-site schema, semantic
network, complex document, or software configuration. Many uses of models
involve managing changes in models and transformations of data from one
model into another. These uses require an explicit representation of
"mappings" between models. This work endeavors to make database systems
easier to use for these applications by making "model" and "model mapping"
first-class citizens with special operations that simplify their use. We
call this capability model management.
Current and Past UW Project Members
Publications and Presentations
- Mork, P., R. A. Pottinger, and
P.A. Bernstein: Challenges in Precisely Aligning Models of Human Anatomy
Using Generic Schema Matching. The 11th World Conference on Medical
Informatics (Medinfo) 2004 (To Appear).
- Pottinger, R. A. and P. A. Bernstein,
“Merging Models Based on Given Correspondences.” Proc.
29th VLDB Conference (PDF,
- Melnik, S., E. Rahm, P. A. Bernstein,
"Rondo: A Programming Platform for Generic Model Management," Proc.
SIGMOD 2003, pp. 193-204 (PDF,
344KB). Extended version in
Elsevier's Journal on Web Semantics,
Volume 1, Number 1.
- P. A. Bernstein, "Applying Model
Management to Classical Meta Data Problems," Proc.
CIDR 2003, pp. 209-220 (PDF,
- R.A. Pottinger, and P.A. Bernstein,
"Creating a Mediated Schema Based on Initial Correspondences,"
IEEE Data Eng. Bulletin 25, 3 (Sept. 2002), pp. 26-31
- Madhavan, J., P. A. Bernstein, P. Domingos,
A.Y. Halevy, "Representing and Reasoning About Mappings between Domain
Models," 18th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2002),
- Madhavan, J., P. A. Bernstein, and E. Rahm, "Generic Schema Matching
Using Cupid," Proc. VLDB 2001, pp. 49-58.
- Bernstein, P.A. A. Y. Halevy, R.A. Pottinger, "A Vision for Management
of Complex Models," SIGMOD Record, December 2000,
- Bernstein, P.A. and E. Rahm, "Data Warehouse Scenarios for Model
Management," keynote address, ER2000 Conference Proceedings, Springer-Verlag,
pp. 1-15 (slides,
ER2000 Conference Web Site).
- Bernstein, P.A., "Is Generic Data Management Feasible?" panel
discussion, Proc. VLDB 2000, pp. 660-662. (PDF,
29KB). Slides from participants (Laura Haas, Matthias Jarke, Erhard Rahm,
Zip file, 235KB
- Bernstein, P.A., A.Y. Levy, R.A. Pottinger, "A Vision for Management of
Complex Models," Microsoft Research Technical Report MSR-TR-2000-53, June